Friday, September 18, 2015

Just a couple of thoughts



I have a couple of thoughts:

Thought number one!  What am I doing to strengthen myself spiritually?  If you're reading this you probably go to church on Sundays, and that's good.  It’s real good and I strongly encourage it.  Sunday worship is like getting a spiritual infusion that seems to give you that boost that you need to face another week. You're wise to go to church because you recognize that living spiritually isn’t the easiest thing to do.  So kudos to you.  But, let's face it -- if you really want to be a spiritual stud you're going to need more than an hour or two. So, what else are you doing to get spiritually stronger?  What daily disciplines do you have in place to supplement what we're doing on Sunday morning?  I could tell you what to do, but really you need to decide because only you know and only you choose what you are going to do!  Doing almost always is preceded by a question, so ask yourself the question, "What am I doing to strengthen myself spiritually?"

Thought number two - What am I doing to serve others?  Most people are selfish.  I don’t know why but selfishness seems to be rampant in human beings.  Perhaps we suppose that someone has to look out for number one and who better to do that than me!  Jesus taught the exact opposite and trusting that Jesus knew a thing or two about abundant life, I think we ought to give his plan a try.   Making ourselves last and becoming a servant to others are two essential ingredients in Jesus' formula for abundant life.  It stands to reason that if I make myself first and look to others to serve me then my recipe for life is messed up.  So you need to ask yourself, "What am I doing to serve others?"

Well, that's a couple of things to think about.

No comments: